What do you do when your horse suddenly chokes?!
Well, unfortunately, I found out the hard way. Thankfully I had my emergency medical barn book and was able to quickly reference what to do.
Here are the steps an owner can take until the vet comes (if necessary):
1. Help keep your horse calm
2. Give injection Intramuscularly (IM) or Intravenously (IV) or orally (liquid only) of Banamine (10cc) to help relax the muscles
3. Rub the horse’s throat until the substance the horse is choking on comes out of the nose and mouth
4. Remove all other feed and hay
5. Call vet to ask if the horse should be put on antibiotics in case they have aspirated (the substance getting into their lungs)
Here is a link to more information on what you and/or your vet can do to help your horse- When a horse chokes