WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOUR FEED ROOM CLEAN?
- Making sure that the feed is not expired!
- To ensure that nothing is rotting or moldy: Mold spores cause colic. Colic, well, is not only expensive but deadly.
- To keep wildlife out: Many little critters carry diseases that can seriously impair your horse’s health. Diseases such as EPM is passed through opossum urinating on feed, hay, grass, etc and your horse ingesting it.
- Checking the feed bins: Ensuring that all feed bins are sealed and have no holes or ways for wildlife to crawl inside. This is also important to ensure that the containers are air tight so that mold and other bacteria doesn’t get in or grow.
- Supplements and Medications: Checking the dates on medications and supplements to ensure that they are still safe to administer to your horse.
- Cleaning the feed buckets: This is important to make sure that there is no mold, fungus, bacteria etc growing on the inside of your buckets. It is also important if you have used any of your buckets to give medication or supplements to ensure another horse’s feed isn’t being contaminated.
Nine Steps To A Better Feed Room