One day I received a call that I needed to come out and see Chance because he wasn’t doing well and, according to Vet1, he needed to be put down. I quickly canceled my appointments and got on the road. The 4 hour drive was excruciating…once we finally arrived, my heart broke.
My old guy was skin and bones. His back right leg was swollen and he wasn’t able to bare weight on it. His eyes were dull. He could barely walk, and when he did, he wouldn’t put any weight on the right hind. There were even times when he would do this “neurologic dance” (coined by the farm’s owner and C’s other mom) where he would lift up his back right leg and hop!
But when he saw me pull up, he whinnied. He was excited to see me. He ate the pureed carrots but refused the apple puree (only my mom would make this for him). He wasn’t ready to die.
I called the vet who said that Chance should be put down to see what his thoughts were.
Me: What do you think is going on with C?
Vet1: I think he is ready to be put down.
Me: Because of what?
Me: Okay, well, what is the cause of the Lymphangitis? Did you run any diagnostics?
Me: I would like to manage his pain and run a few tests before making that decision. (I reviewed the research that I had done and asked where to go from there.) Could it be EPM?
Vet1: “It’s not EPM”
Me: How about Cushings? Or Laminitis? Lymes?
Vet1: Nope. Just old age.
Me: The journals I read said that some of the symptoms…(I was cut off)
Vet1: “I don’t care what journals you read! It’s a bunch of…”
Me: One was from VA Tech actually…
Well, that was that! Vet1 did not completely lack compassion but he was more “old school” I guess one could say. He was well respected in the horse world and up until this point, he did the job I needed. But I will say I was disheartened by our conversation.
I decided to contact the other vets that I had worked with in the past, who also knew Chance, and get second, third, fourth opinions.